The mosquito is one of the fastest breeding insects. The process of the stage of a mosquito to become an adult mosquito consists of only four stages of the fighter, larva, pupa, and adult. In addition, mosquitoes are also very sensitive to some plant scents. One of them is a rosemary plant that is believed to repel mosquitoes, but some people still ask about does rosemary repel mosquitoes. Therefore this article will discuss the efficacy of rosemary plants and other potential plants to repel mosquitoes and some natural ingredients that have the ability to repel mosquitoes.
Rosemary Plant and Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes are not only very annoying but also very dangerous because it can act as a germicidal agent that is very dangerous to humans. Mosquitoes can carry a variety of seeds of disease such as protozoan diseases such as malaria, filarial diseases such as elephantiasis and congenital viral diseases such as yellow fever, dengue fever, encephalitis, and western nil virus. In addition, for some people with sensitive skin, allergies caused by mosquito saliva can cause hot itching. Therefore, researchers are trying to find natural materials such as plants that can repel mosquitoes. One of them is Rosemary as one type of ornamental plant that has a similar aroma to eucalyptus oil which is not favored by mosquitoes. Rosemary also includes plants that can be grown anywhere either in pots or directly on the ground. In addition, to repel mosquitoes, rosemary can also relieve the itching caused by mosquito bites.
Another Plants that Repel Mosquitoes
In addition to rosemary, there are several plants that can also repel mosquitoes, including:
- Zodia. This plant contains evodiamine compounds that are highly disliked by insects including mosquitoes. Zodia is a plant that is very easy to breed because it only requires a small pot as a planting medium.
- Lemongrass or citronella. Besides very beneficial for health and enrich the aroma of cooking, lemon grass plants can also be used to repel mosquitoes. This is due to the substance of citronella and geraniol which creates an aroma that is hated by mosquitoes.
- Lavender. Is one of the ornamental plants with the aroma that is very liked by humans because it can create a relaxing effect when smelling the aroma. However, lavender contains a compound whose aroma is very hated by mosquitoes, the compound is linalyl acetate.
Natural Ingredients That Can Repel Mosquitoes
For those of you who do not have enough free time and space to grow mosquito repellent plants, then do not worry. Because some natural materials are very easy to find also you can use to repel mosquitoes in your home. Here are some natural ingredients, including:
- Orange Peel. You can use orange peel to get rid of mosquitoes quite easily. Dry a few pieces of orange peel then after that place in some corner of your house.
- Garlic. In addition to good health and delicious flavors for your cuisine, the smell of garlic is so hated by mosquitoes that you can use it to keep mosquitoes away. The way is easy enough to boil some garlic saddle that has been peeled then enter the water to boil the sprayer tube. After that, spray the garlic juice into some areas of your home.
So this article hopefully can answer your question about does rosemary repel mosquitoes.